Vegan Mini Chocolate Peanut Butter Pies
Make peanut butter pie even more blissful with this no-bake, vegan recipe featuring Frontier Fair Trade Certified™ organic mace, nutmeg and cocoa powder.
Use organic ingredients where possible.
- 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons Frontier® Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
- 1 pinch Frontier® Sea Salt
- 1⁄2 tablespoon buttery spread, such as Earth Balance®, melted (save the wrapper)
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened applesauce
- 1⁄4 teaspoon Frontier® Organic Vanilla Extract
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 6 tablespoons firm silken tofu
- 4 tablespoons chunky peanut butter, softened
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Frontier® Organic Mace
- 1⁄4 teaspoon Frontier® Organic Ground Nutmeg
Frontier® Co-op has provided this recipe as a suggestion for your use based on commonly available ingredients understood to be "vegan," which we define as not including any meat, fish, egg, dairy, honey or other animal-derived ingredients or by-products.
- Measure the flour and cocoa into a medium bowl, and whisk together with the salt. In a separate bowl, stir together the melted buttery spread, applesauce and vanilla. Add in the brown sugar, crushing any clumps on the side of the bowl. Combine with the flour mixture, stirring just until incorporated (do not over-mix). Shape the dough into a ball, and freeze for just 20 to 25 minutes, until firm and not sticky.
- Use the wrapper from the buttery spread, or the remaining stick, to lightly grease the inside of eight mini-muffin tin cups. Remove the dough from the freezer, and divide into eight equal-size balls. Working with one dough ball at a time, press and form into the bottom of each mini muffin cup, working it halfway up the sides. Return to the freezer for 45 to 60 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a food processor, mix together the tofu, peanut butter and spices until smooth (this can be done by hand, but it takes quite a while to make the tofu smooth). Remove the muffin cups from the freezer, and gently remove the dough cups using a sharp knife. Place each cup on a small square of parchment on a plate. Fill each with 1 to 2 tablespoons of the peanut butter mixture. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour before serving.