Gluten-Free French Onion Soup
Top savory French onion soup with tart apple slices and nutty Gruyere for a gluten-free finishing touch that complements the flavors of thyme and nutmeg.
Use organic ingredients where possible.
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 4 medium-large yellow onions peeled and julienned
- Frontier® Sea Salt and freshly ground Frontier® Organic Black Pepper, to taste
- 1 cup medium-dry sherry, such as Amontillado
- 2 to 3 tablespoons gluten-free Worcestershire sauce, such as Lea & Perrin's
- 1 teaspoon Frontier® Organic Thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Frontier® Organic Ground Nutmeg
- 2 quarts homemade beef broth (or substitute canned, but always the lower-salt variety)
- 1 Frontier® Organic Bay Leaf
- 2 Granny Smith apples, cored and sliced
- 2 cups grated Gruyére
Frontier® Co-op has provided this recipe as a suggestion for your use based on commonly available ingredients understood to be gluten-free. Frontier Co-op cannot guarantee the gluten-free nature of the specific ingredients you obtain or your preparation of the final recipe. Please exercise good judgment in selecting gluten-free ingredients.
- In a 4 to 6-quart soup pot with a thick bottom, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the onions and season with 1 teaspoon of salt and a few grinds of pepper. Mix thoroughly.
- Reduce the heat to low, cover the pot with a lid, and cook, stirring occasionally, until the onions are very soft but not falling apart, and golden brown, about 40 to 50 minutes. Add the sherry, Worcestershire sauce and spices. Stir well.
- Add the broth and bay leaf and bring the soup to a simmer over medium-high heat. Reduce the heat to medium low and simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove the bay leaf and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- To serve, put an oven rack about 6 inches from the broiler and heat the broiler to high. Place 6 broiler-proof soup crocks on a baking sheet. Ladle in soup, portioning evenly, until each crock is full to about ½ inch from the top. Layer 3 to 5 apple slices on top of each, and sprinkle liberally with the cheese. Broil until the top is browned and bubbly, 2 to 5 minutes. Serve immediately.